June 10, 2006

Gita II.....Conflicting beliefs into single unity

It was Krishna's intention not to proclaim any transcendent dogma of salvation but to render Arjuna to undertake the special services of the almighty, will of the God who decides the fate of the battles.

In true Hindu spirit, many conflicting beliefs have been worked into a single unity, that is, to find the Ultimate Truth. The entire world of manifestations and multiplicity is not real in itself but seems to be so for those who live in ignorance. Only the wisdom that the Universal reality and the individual self are identical can bring us redemption. After this realisation, the ego dissolves; the wandering ceases and we find perfect joy and blessedness.

Karma is essential as a means of purification of the mind. And when wisdom is attained, Karma falls away.

Brahman, the highest reality, is spirit but not without attributes (as held by one stream of thought). He has self consciousness with knowledge of Himself and a conscious will to create the world and bestow salvation on His creations. He is infinite and eternal. God is both the instrumental and the material cause of the world.

God is the supporting, controlling principle of the soul, even as the soul is supporting principle of the body. God and soul are one. God is the inner guide who dwells deep within the soul and as such is the principle of its life. Immanence, however, is not identity.

4 comments:

Bob said...

The Gita is my favourite scripture. I read it when I was twenty and it has influenced me strongly.

gautami tripathy said...

Yes, whenever I have felt lowly and down, it uplifts me!

Thanks rob!

Zareba said...

I found your blog by accident, and am very glad I did. I have also loved the Gita ever since I discovered it. Lovely to read "God and soul are one. God is the inner guide who dwells deep within the soul and as such is the principle of its life." Thank you ...Z

9:42 PM

gautami tripathy said...

Thanks leo myshkin, you couldn't have put it better!

and thanks zareba, Gita has always uplifted me as nothing else!