June 03, 2006

Gita I... Eternal and Imperishable

Gita has something eternal and imperishable, applicable to all ages and all countries. The intellectual expressions and psychological idiom are the products of time while the permanent truths are capable of being lived and seen by a higher than intellectual vision at all times. Gita contains ancient wisdom which is as relevant today as it was then. It will be just relevant as to the end of time if there is any.

This great scripture has living value as it is a restatement of the truths of the eternity in the accents of our present times.

Gita is the journey within us seeking the way to be one with GOD. It provides light with its wisdom and reinforces renewal of spiritual life. It shows us the meaning and value of existence, the essence of eternal values and the path in which the ultimate mysteries are illuminated by the light of the reason and moral intuition.

There has to be balance between mind and the spirit so as to keep the material world one. Gita is ethics and metaphysics, science of reality and art of union with that very reality. Rigorous discipline is necessary to comprehend fully the truths of the spirit. In order to acquire spiritual wisdom, we need to cleanse our mind of all distraction and purge the heart from all corruption.

Renewal of life is can only happen with knowledge of truth. Outer desire and inner quality can never be divided because by doing so we violate the integrity of human life. These two orders of reality, empirical and transcendent are closely interwoven.

The biggest question is how can we live in the highest self and yet continue to work in this world? We find answers in Gita with new emphasis. It gives us vision of truth, impressive and profound, opens up new avenues for the mind of man, it accepts assumptions which are part of tradition of the past generations and embedded in the language it employs. The different elements which had been competing within Hindu system have been brought together and integrated into a comprehensive synthesis, free and large, subtle and profound.

Krishna, as the teacher, amalgates the different currents of thoughts, the Vedic cult of sacrifice, the Upanishads, the Bhagavad theism and tender piety, the Sankhya dualism and the Yoga meditation. He brings all these elements into organic unity, shows us how different lines of thought converge towards the same end.

5 comments:

kevin said...

very good. I also liked your poetry site, thank you for directing me there.

While I there is a Gita on my bookshelf, its shear size has always been daunting to me.

Sometime ago, my wife and I were listening to an audio recording of the Upanishads, when it came up to the Mandukya Upanishad and we were dumb struck at how closely the description of Atman having four quarters paralled the Islamic Sufism conception of the "Four Gates". I see it as no accident.

peace

gautami tripathy said...

All religions basically teach us the samething. To be one with GOD.

Thanks for being here and haring your thoughts. Thats what I want, to give me insigfhts into other religions, cultures.

Mike said...

Hi Gautami, thanks for your comment on my blog post. I know very little about Hinduism, and am looking forward to following your thoughts and experiences in writing on Gita. With my interests in comparative mythology, the Bhagavad Gita (among other Hindu works) is definitely on my reading list.

I've also spent a few minutes so far perusing your poetry site, and I enjoy your pieces. I definitely look forward to spending more time pouring over your work in the future.

gautami tripathy said...

Thanks mike, do visit. I will be penning my impressions. Even I am yet to understan Gita fully!

Anonymous said...

Enjoyed a lot!
» »