December 05, 2006

OM or AUM


OM is the symbol of essence of Hinduism. It denotes oneness with the Supreme, the amalgamation of the physical being with the spiritual. It is the most holy syllable, the first sound of the Almighty - the sound from which materializes each and every other sound, be it of music or of language.

In the Upanishads this sacrosanct syllable appears as a mystic sound, regarded by scriptures as the very basis of every other sacred mantra. It is the sound not only of beginning but also of termination. The past, present and future are all included in this one sound. The syllable OM also represents the TRIMURTI (triad) of Brahma, Vishnu and Shiva.

Shiva's drum produced this sound and because of it came the notes of the octave, for ex., SA, RI, GA, MA, PA, DHA, NI. By this sound Shiva created and recreated the universe. OM is also the sound form of Atman.

The Upanishads state that everything, existent and non- existent, can be comprehended by uttering the sacred syllable of OM. Meditation on OM gratifies every need and ultimately leads to salvation. Nearly all the prayers and recitals of sacred passages are prefixed by the sound of OM.

Musically, it is also held that the term OM or AUM is made up by three base notes ' A ' 'U' 'M' or the basic 'SA' 'PA' of the fundamental scale and again Sa (the base note) of the immediately higher scale. When says these notes in continuity, all the basic notes from SA to NI are heard. Similarly when one pronounces AUM correctly, all the basic sounds also echo. It is the traditional way of clearing all the obstacles in the vocal chord to make one chant the hymns correctly. Their unison makes one not only sound resonating but also is essential for chanting a Mantra (Incantation) properly. All the Vedic Mantras have 'OM' or' AUM' as the first word.

7 comments:

Borut said...

Thanks for visiting my blog, Gautami. I’ll link you to my Metaphysical Clown too, if I may!:) Thank you for explaining the sacred syllable AUM. I read about it quite some time ago. And forgot most of it. What you say is refreshingly new to me. I’ve been practicing chanting AUM recently, quite on my own, with the idea of stopping my internal dialog and improving my eyesight, one of my current problems. My vision, telephone bill etc. set a limit to my daily blogging, but I’ll surely come back from time to time.

Zareba said...

I am so delighted to see you continuing this work. Now that I am able to spend more time on line again, I will be returning often to follow. Your comentary deepens my understanding of the Bhavagad Gita and I thank you for that...Z

Anonymous said...

When one whispers the sacred word Om one feels so energised.
hugs for you. :o)

having to go anon., due to not being able to comment
trinitystar,

sage said...

thanks for visiting my blog. Also thanks for your explainations of the Bhagavadgita. I'm interested in Indian culture. Recently hosted a co-worker from India for six weeks, with plans that I'll got to India in 2008 and work with him there. So I have been reading more about India and watching Indian movies (I did a review recently of Water, and will be doing a review of Roja).

Is this your main blog?

C-dell said...

Interesting post.

Enemy of the Republic said...

When I do yoga, I begin my breathing with Om Shanti and end it so. Nothing in English equals OM.

BeLoved.... said...

i have become more aware of the mystical power of sound throughout the past few months. om is a beautiful example. similarly awen (when enunciated and said slowly "ah-oo-enn" has this kind of effect. also "ah--meen" (amen) and "oo-saht" (Aset, another way of saying the goddess, Isis' name).